Biennial Meetings & Symposia
Since 2001 the Mozart Society of America has organized stimulating biennial conferences that attract an international group of scholars and performers as participants and attendees. These conferences, usually hosted by a university, explore various themes in Mozart studies through papers, panel discussions, library- or museum-sponsored exhibitions, and performances.
The MSA also sponsors occasional symposia in conjunction with performing arts institutions that are designed to provide educational outreach and involve a wider listening public. A weekend symposium at the Santa Fe Opera, offered in conjunction with a new production of Mozart’s Die Zauberflöte in 2006, was the first of what we hope will be many such programs.
Our Next Meeting
Mozart Society of America Biennial Conference, 15-17 August 2013, New York City; including a session concerning issues in Mozart Scholarship during the Mainly Mozart Festival, Lincoln Center, New York City, 17 August 2013.
- Fifth Biennial Conference: Mozart in Our Past and in Our Present.
Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota.
20–23 October 2011
- 2009 Mozart in Prague. 9-13 June. A Joint Conference of
the Mozart Society of America and the Society for Eighteenth-Century Music.
- 2006 Mozart and ‘Die Zauberflöte.’ 29 June-1 July. Santa Fe Opera, Santa FE, NM.
Isabelle Emerson, Program Chair. Craig Smith, Keynote Speaker.
- 2006 Mozart’s Choral Music: Composition, Contexts, Performance. 10-12 February.
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN. Bruce Brown, Program Chair. Daniel Melamed, Local Arrangements Chair. Otto Biba, Keynote Speaker.
- 2003 Mozart and the Keyboard Culture of His Time. 28-30 March. Cornell University,
Ithaca, NY. Kathryn Libin, Program Chair. Neal Zaslaw, Local Arrangements Chair. Robert Levin, Keynote Speaker.
- 2001 Mozart in Las Vegas. 9-10 February. University of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV.
Mary Sue Morrow, Program Chair. Isabelle Emerson, Local
Sessions at the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
- 2012 Mozart's Chamber Music and its Contexts and Mozart and the Allegorical Stage. San Antonio, TX.
- 2010 Teaching Mozart. Albuquerque, NM.
- 2009 Biography and Portraiture in Mozartean Myth-Making. Richmond, VA.
- 2008 Aspects of Mozart. Portland, OR.
- 2007 Mozart After 250. Atlanta, GA.
- 2006 Making Opera: Mozart in the Theatre. Montréal, CA.
- 2005 Restoring Mozart. Las Vegas, NV.
- 2004 Mozartean Couplings. Boston, MA.
- 2003 Mozart and the Habsburgs. Los Angeles, CA.
Mozart in North America: The Eighteenth Century. Los Angeles, CA.
- 2002 Mozartean Contexts. Colorado Springs, CO.
- 2001 Music in Mozart’s Vienna. New Orleans, LA.
- 2000 Mozart and Women. Philadelphia, PA.
- 1999 Mozart and Eighteenth-Century Musical Dialect. Milwaukee, WI.
- 1998 Mozart and Representation. University of Notre Dame, IN.
© Mozart Society of America